Getting Data In

Logging to Job Inspector from Custom Search Command

gdavoian
Engager

Hi folks.
I have a custom search command and I am using self.logger to log messages from the command. Please see my logging.conf attached.

[loggers]
# root is mandatory.
keys = root, CustomSearchCommand

[handlers]
keys = ConsoleHandler

[formatters]
keys = SimpleFormatter

[logger_root]
level = INFO
handlers = ConsoleHandler

[logger_CustomSearchCommand]
level = INFO
handlers = ConsoleHandler
# qualname is mandatory.
qualname = CustomSearchCommand
# propagate is disabled in order not to log same events twice.
propagate = 0

[handler_ConsoleHandler]
class = StreamHandler
# sys.stdout causes weird errors.
args = (sys.stderr,)
level = INFO
formatter = SimpleFormatter

[formatter_SimpleFormatter]
format = %(asctime)s - %(process)s - %(name)s - %(levelname)s - %(message)s

First of all, I don't understand why Splunk doesn't allow us to use sys.stdout in ConsoleHandler, it just keeps failing with a very strange error message:

11-18-2019 16:49:38.169 ERROR ChunkedExternProcessor - Failed attempting to parse transport header: 2019-11-18 16:49:38,168 - 23427 - CustomSeachCommand - INFO - <ORIGINAL LOG MESSAGE>

At the same time, using sys.stderr in ConsoleHandler works fine, though the output doesn't look good:

11-18-2019 16:40:46.346 ERROR ChunkedExternProcessor - stderr: 2019-11-18 16:40:46,345 - 22025 - CustomSearchCommand - INFO - <ORIGINAL LOG MESSAGE>

So why does Splunk always log messages from child processes as errors? It's clear that each final log record consists of two parts: 11-18-2019 16:40:46.346 ERROR ChunkedExternProcessor - stderr: (from the parent process, I guess) and 2019-11-18 16:40:46,345 - 22025 - CustomSearchCommand - INFO - <ORIGINAL LOG MESSAGE> (from the child process, executing my custom search command). By the way, I'm inheriting my own command from StreamingCommand and using chunked = true.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...