Getting Data In

Issue with crcsalt not reindexing files

jarlin

A newbie splunker here. I got a doubt about crcsalt as for some reason it's not working for me. I got a task to monitor .conf files for some apps and I made the inputs.conf & props.conf in a server after testing there were some issues so I did crcsalt for it to reindex these files and they did. Now I had to do this again in another server and made an app for it and pushed it to the DX & CM and also towards their respective clusters as well but due to certain circumstances I had to reindex these files with crcsalt the second time but for some reason the files aren't getting reindexed. I changed the sourcetype in props.conf it didn't work still. After foraging through answers.splunk the only answers I got was to clear the fishbucket which is a no go for me, use btprobe which is also a no go or to use crcsalt. Is there any possible way to fix this other than indexing it into a new index? Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I created a new index hoping that the files would be reindexed but it didn't work as well. Now I'm scratching my head for a reason why it ain't working.

0 Karma

gfreitas
Builder

Hey man, if you're talking about reindexing only one file in a single server you can use the one shot option. You can find some information here: https://answers.splunk.com/answers/72562/how-to-reindex-data-from-a-forwarder.html

0 Karma

jarlin

No, I'm monitoring multiple paths in the same inputs.conf and I'm facing issues with crcsalt. I also created a new index but its not reindexing again. As for one shot option its seems like a very tedious option.

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What version of Splunk are you running?

I actually hit a maddening problem that sounds like this, quite a few versions back and I resorted to weird things like setting crcSalt to random strings like "reindex this 17" when crcSalt=<SOURCE> mysteriously stopped working. At the time I had the option to clean that index and I think I did. And then the problem never returned but I had since upgraded Splunk.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...