Getting Data In

Is there any way to completely disable compression for frozen data or all data?

cdstealer
Contributor

Hi,
I am implementing an archive solution for our production platform and I have a question, if anyone could advise.

Is there any way to completely disable compression for frozen data or all data?

The storage solution where the data will reside does its own compression and deduping, so we only want raw, uncompressed data.

Thanks in advance
Steve

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

hello there.
Splunk compresses the data by aprox 50% while keeping the data searchable and if moved to frozen (archive) still in a format that you can thaw and make searchable again (re hydrate)
are you asking regarding un compress splunk cold data as it moves from cold to frozen so you can use your enterprise storage technology to dedup it and compress it? if so, what is the savings / compression you anticipate to achieve?
i would not recommend this approach

0 Karma

cdstealer
Contributor

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately storing already compressed data of this volume on storage technology that uses mandatory compression has a massive performance impact on the storage platform. So if it's not possible at all to disable compression on either side, then it's back to the drawing board.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...