Getting Data In

Is there a way to increase the maxQueueSize for Syslog output?

ludoz13
Path Finder

Hello Splunkers,

I would like to know if there is any way to increase the queue of my syslog group. I mean, currently I forward logs that are received on my Splunk through a tierce solution on syslog and the default queue is 97 KB. Please find below an example :

INFO Metrics - group=queue, name=my_syslog_group, max_size_kb=97, current_size_kb=0, current_size_kb=0, largest_size=0, smallest_size=0

I tried to set up this configuration on server.conf :

[queue]
maxSize = 10MB

[queue:my_syslog_group]
maxSize = 10MB

After restarting, I have always the default queue (97 KB). I saw nothing in the outputs.conf file to increase this queue for syslog output.

Do you have any idea ?

Thx for your help,

Regards,

Ludo

Tags (3)

kozanic_mg
Explorer

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has been able to come up with a fix / work-around for this issue.

It's 5 yrs since it was originally asked and still it appears that the config options are very limited for this.

0 Karma

harishmeetsu
Explorer

Hi,

Did you find any solution for this? Unfortunately I cannot see any option to drop events when queue full for the syslog output processor

Thanks

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @harishmeetsu,

I had a problem few months ago related to this: i tried to enlarge the maxQueueSize and my system was blocked because the full syslog queue blocked all the other queues(I was working on an Heavy Forwarder).

I opened a case to Splunk Support and they gave me two solutions:

• using the parallel ingestion and add more resources to the system,
  • writing data in a file and using r-syslog.

I followed their first hint and I was able to send more data via syslog (around 20kb/s instead 1).

To do this, you have to add to your server.conf:

[general]
parallelIngestionPipelines = 2

Before you ask: it isn't possible to use an higher value, I tried without results!

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your configuration option is wrong and needs to be on the outputs.conf configuration for the syslog.

maxQueueSize = [<integer>|<integer>[KB|MB|GB]|auto]

See:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.2/Admin/Outputsconf
0 Karma

ludoz13
Path Finder

Hello alacercogitatus,

Thanks for your answser but could you please confirm us that this option setting "maxQueueSize" is for Syslog output.

I see on the documentation that this option is only for TCP output (splunk system)

Thanks a lot,

Regards,

Ludo

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...