Getting Data In

Is there a way to have INGEST_EVAL process the multivalue field and return the same JSON value as the EVAL lookup?

buzzard192
Explorer

I have a field with the system's IP in it and am trying to add additional fields during ingest.  It works if the IP field is a single value, but if it is a multivalue field it does not.  I can successfully add the fields at search time regardless if it is a single or multivalue field.

As an example, the field name is systemIP.  The CSV lookup file is:

cidr,location,region
192.168.1.0/24,Site-A,East
10.10.10.0/24, Site-B,East

transforms.conf:

[IPRange]
INGEST_EVAL = JSON=lookup("IPRangeLookup", json_object("cidr", systemIP), json_array("location", "region"))

[IPRangeLookup]
batch_index_query = 1
case_sensitive_match = 1
filename=systemIPLookup.csv
match_type = CIDR(cidr)
max_matches = 1

props.conf:

[(?::){0}host::*]
TRANSFORMS = IPRange

For the INGEST_EVAL:

If the system only has one IP address (192.168.1.10), then JSON gets set to:
{"location":"Site-A","region":"East"}

If it has two IP addresses, one in each cidr, the JSON gets set to the match for the first IP in the multivalue field.

For search time EVAL:

If I search:
index="*" host="host-with-two-IPs" | eval JSONzzz=lookup("IPRangeLookup", json_object("cidr", systemIP), json_array("location", "region"))

Then a system with one IP address, JSONzzz gets set to:
{"location":"Site-A","region":"East"}

If it has two IP addresses, then JSONzzz gets set to:
{"location":["Site-A","Site-B"],"region":["East","East"]}

The lookup is the same between the two, but the INGEST_EVAL only ever processes the first value in the field.  Is there a way to have INGEST_EVAL process the multivalue field and return the same JSON value as the EVAL lookup?

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

buzzard192
Explorer

@VatsalJagani  - thanks for your response.  I was able to figure it out.  Not sure if it is a newer feature or not, but INGEST_EVAL can handle multi-value fields, but by default it only processes the first value.  To have it process all values, you need to prefix the value with mv: so in my example above, I needed to use: $mv:systemIP$. 

From the transforms.conf specification section on INGEST_EVAL:

When reading from an index-time field that occurs multiple times inside the
  _meta key, normally the first value is used. You can override this by
  prefixing the name with "mv:" which returns all of the values into a
  "multival" object. For example, if _meta contains the keys "v::a v::b" then
  'mvjoin(v,",")' returns "a" while 'mvjoin($mv:v$,",")' returns "a,b".

View solution in original post

buzzard192
Explorer

@VatsalJagani  - thanks for your response.  I was able to figure it out.  Not sure if it is a newer feature or not, but INGEST_EVAL can handle multi-value fields, but by default it only processes the first value.  To have it process all values, you need to prefix the value with mv: so in my example above, I needed to use: $mv:systemIP$. 

From the transforms.conf specification section on INGEST_EVAL:

When reading from an index-time field that occurs multiple times inside the
  _meta key, normally the first value is used. You can override this by
  prefixing the name with "mv:" which returns all of the values into a
  "multival" object. For example, if _meta contains the keys "v::a v::b" then
  'mvjoin(v,",")' returns "a" while 'mvjoin($mv:v$,",")' returns "a,b".

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Great!!!

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@buzzard192 - INGEST_EVAL as such doesn't have any configuration that can do that.

Try doing it as search time field extraction by moving your EVAL from search into props.conf so it auto-applies to all the data required.

OR you need to manipulate at index-time to make additional fields like ip1, ip2, ip3 and then apply lookup 3 times for each field. (Not sure how to achieve this exactly but you need to test it out.)

I hope this helps!!! Kindly upvote if it does!!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...