Getting Data In

Is there a way to distribute cluster-bundle through REST API?

felipe_conde
Engager

I know that for doing the distribution of cluster-bundle there exist two documented ways: Using the WEB UI and also using the CLI, but my question is, is there any way to do using the REST API?

The reason of my need is because I'm developing an application that creates new indexes in the indexes.conf file which is inside master-apps/_cluster/local directory, and now the only thing that left is to do the deployment of those changes over the peer nodes.

Please help... 🙂

Tags (3)
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yeah there is - anything that can be done through the UI can be done through the REST API.

Sadly, this endpoint doesn't seem to be documented. I gather it's a POST to /services/cluster/master/control/default/apply from looking at $SPLUNK_HOME/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/exposed/js/models/services/cluster/master/Control.js ... however, without documentation it's a bit of a gamble to rely on that.

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yeah there is - anything that can be done through the UI can be done through the REST API.

Sadly, this endpoint doesn't seem to be documented. I gather it's a POST to /services/cluster/master/control/default/apply from looking at $SPLUNK_HOME/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/exposed/js/models/services/cluster/master/Control.js ... however, without documentation it's a bit of a gamble to rely on that.

dxu_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

this is correct! (and the optional argument is indeed "skip-validation" = true/false, which corresponds to the CLI argument).

the docs should be updated with this info relatively soon!

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hooray for educated guessing \o/

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Well, the parameter has to exist - how else would the CLI tell splunkd what to do?

Based on quick trial-and-error, the parameter is likely called skip-validation:

curl -k -u admin:changeme https://localhost:8089/services/cluster/master/control/control/apply -d skip-validation=true -X POST

...no error.

curl -k -u admin:changeme https://localhost:8089/services/cluster/master/control/control/apply -d fake-parameter=true -X POST

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<response>
  <messages>
    <msg type="ERROR">
 In handler 'clustermastercontrol': Argument "fake-parameter" is not supported by this handler.</msg>
  </messages>
</response>

Switching true and false didn't change anything for me, but then there are no errors in my bundle...

Side note: Splunk Support may be correct too, in that there's no documented and supported way right now...

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'd say "probably", because the CLI parameter likely is just passed to the REST call.

The endpoint still isn't documented on http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.1/RESTREF/RESTcluster - I've asked the docs team, we'll see.

0 Karma

i2sheri
Communicator

Just checked with splunk support and Its not possible.

0 Karma

i2sheri
Communicator

can we use --skip-validation if we use this rest point

0 Karma

felipe_conde
Engager

Thank you very much, this is exactly what I need.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...