Getting Data In

Is the HEC a loosely coupled solution?

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

One of our clients wonder which solution is more loosely coupled – the Universal Forwarder or HEC.

I see the decoupling with the Universal Forwarder solution as the writer to the logs and the reader (UF) are completely independent of each other.

However, I'm not sure about the HEC solution.

From Loose coupling

-- In computing and systems design a loosely coupled system is one in which each of its components has, or makes use of, little or no knowledge of the definitions of other separate components. Subareas include the coupling of classes, interfaces, data, and services.1 Loose coupling is the opposite of tight coupling.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

HEC receiving is not supported for receiving on UF (although plenty of people are using it and it appears to be fine); so officially you need a full instance of Splunk which contains all of the pieces that a UF contains so there is no reason to install both. Just install a full instance of splunk.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...