Getting Data In

Is it possible to forward logs from UF to Syslog-ng using either BSD/IETF syslog format?

mohdmikhael
Explorer

Hi,

I was posed a query from my customer. Is it possible to forward syslog from UF to Syslog-ng using the BSD/IETF syslog format? If so, how would one go about implementing it?

Thank you in advance for any information provided.

Regards,

Mikhael

Labels (2)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

Yes it's possible, at least on HF side, but why you don't send all to syslog-ng and then read those by UF from syslog-ng server? That is much better approach than use splunk to deliver syslog.

If you still want to do it by splunk, there are lot of examples on community and docs.splunk.com e..g

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Getting-Data-In/Forwarding-data-from-Heavy-forwarder-to-syslog-serve...

r. Ismo

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The question was about UF. And on UF it's not possible. Quoting from outputs.conf spec:

# The syslog output processor is not available for universal or light
# forwarders.

Anyway, I suppose it's a case of replacing one solution with another or implementing two different solutions for two different purposes (like Splunk for security and some syslog collector for ops). I'd probably also suggest doing the syslog part first and pass the events to the Splunk layer (either by saving to files and ingesting the files with UF or by pushing them directly to HEC from the syslog server, bypassing UF completely).

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...