Getting Data In

Is it possible to configure the inputs.conf ignoreOlderThan setting during the silent CLI installation of a universal forwarder?

ncarnevali

Hi,

I would like to configure ignoreOlderThan = 1d within my default settings within inputs.conf during the silent command line install of the Splunk universal forwarder.

You can see below I am specifying the monitoring path during the silent install but I don't see a way to configure the ignoreOlderThan setting. Is this possible?

If this is not possible, would it be better to complete the install without the monitoring path and then add the monitoring path to inputs.conf via REST API? I mention the REST API, because when checking the CLI it didn't appear to support ignoreOlderThan setting.

This is my current install:

msiexec.exe /i splunkuniversalforwarder_x86.msi /l splunk_install.log RECEIVING_INDEXER="server.testserver.com:9997"  MONITOR_PATH="C:\Apps\test\Client\testpath\logs"  LAUNCHSPLUNK=1 AGREETOLICENSE=Yes /quiet

This is what I'd like my inputs.conf to look like:

[default]
ignoreOlderThan = 7d

[monitor://C:\Apps\test\Client\testpath\logs]
disabled = false

**Note for some reason it is taking out my backslashes so that path looks weird.

0 Karma
1 Solution

MuS
Legend

Hi ncarnevali,

That's not correct, the REST api supports ignoreOlderThan but it is called ignore-older-than in REST. See the docs for more details http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.4/RESTREF/RESTinput#data.2Finputs.2Fmonitor in the POST section.

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

View solution in original post

MuS
Legend

Hi ncarnevali,

That's not correct, the REST api supports ignoreOlderThan but it is called ignore-older-than in REST. See the docs for more details http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.4/RESTREF/RESTinput#data.2Finputs.2Fmonitor in the POST section.

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

ncarnevali

Thanks MuS,

So am I correct the only way to do this would be via the REST api?

Doing a bit more research it almost seems easier to write a script that installs Splunk, copies my input.conf to the install directory, and restarts Splunk.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

That would be another option or use a Deployment server and provide the configs. The later makes sense if your using a large deployment and if you want to be able to configure your forwarders from within Splunk.

0 Karma

ncarnevali

I ended up writing the script as I am using the free version and the deployment server isn't an option.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...