Getting Data In

Is it possible for data to be searchable indefinitely?

takashi6
Explorer

Hello Experts,

I understand we can use "frozenTimePeriodInSecs" to move the data to a frozen state and the data becomes unsearchable once that happens.

We have a requirement that the data remains searchable indefinitely.  The moving data to a unsearchable state takes place on a regular basis but only after receiving an approval from a set of people and we can't set a certain retention period to our indexes.

Is it possible we set someone like "indefinite" or "infinite" to the frozenTimePeriodInSecs?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @takashi6 

without frozenTimePeriodInSecs, you have the default value

Default: 188697600 (6 years)

Only one little hint: having on line all the data is expensive in terms of storage, backup and response time: so, analyze the possibility to maintain on line a subset of data (e.g. one year) and put the other data in frozen state that you can search non immediately but in a quick time, or put the oldest data in a less performant storage.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @takashi6 ,

as you can see at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.4/Admin/Indexesconf

frozenTimePeriodInSecs = <nonnegative integer>
* The number of seconds after which indexed data rolls to frozen.
* If you do not specify a 'coldToFrozenScript', data is deleted when rolled to
  frozen.
* NOTE: Every event in a bucket must be older than 'frozenTimePeriodInSecs'
  seconds before the bucket rolls to frozen.
* The highest legal value is 4294967295.
* Default: 188697600 (6 years)

The default value is 188697600 (6 years), the highest legal value is 4294967295, that means around 136 years, is it sufficient to answer to your requirement?

In other words, there isn't an "indefinite" value, but you can use an high value that gives you the same result.

In addition, if you want you can also frozen the deleted values using a script at the end of the retentio0n period to store frozen data out of on line data, but they are still searcheable.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

takashi6
Explorer

Thank you @gcusello for your valuable input.

I understand I need to put a nonnegative integer AND I can input a really, really high value.

May I ask - what would happen if I don't include "frozenTimePeriodInSecs" in the .conf for a particular Index?

What retention period will be in effect for the index?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @takashi6 

without frozenTimePeriodInSecs, you have the default value

Default: 188697600 (6 years)

Only one little hint: having on line all the data is expensive in terms of storage, backup and response time: so, analyze the possibility to maintain on line a subset of data (e.g. one year) and put the other data in frozen state that you can search non immediately but in a quick time, or put the oldest data in a less performant storage.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

takashi6
Explorer

Thanks again for your response and insight, @gcusello 

I've understood the behavior and suggestions. now I'm closing this questions - as answered!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...