Getting Data In

Ingest whole file in a single event.

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
I'm reading a file that is being overridden by a PowerShell script. (no append in the file)
The PowerShell script is using Out-File command to write the content to the file.

Sample content:
Domain Profile Settings:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
State ONPrivate Profile Settings:
State ONPublic Profile Settings:
State ON
Ok.
props.conf file
###### FirewallStatus ######
[source::...FirewallStatus.Log]
sourcetype = FirewallStatusLog
CHECK_METHOD = modtime
[FirewallStatusLog]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = true
BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE= neverbreak
DATETIME_CONFIG = NONE
pulldown_type = true
inputs.conf file
[monitor://$SPLUNK_HOME\var\log\custom\FirewallStatus.log]
disabled = 0
sourcetype = FirewallStatusLog
In my case at the first time content comes in a single event but the next time when file gets updated, the content got broken into two events by Splunk.
On a side note, it does not ingest events on all the update, if there is no update in the content. (That might be okay, I may create a lookup, this is no big deal)
Labels (1)
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The normal process for monitor inputs is to index events as they are added to the file.  Splunk keeps track of its position in the file so events are not duplicated in the index.

If you need later updates to be included in the same event, consider having Splunk wait for additional data before indexing the file.  See the  multiline_event_extra_waittime and  time_before_close settings in props.conf.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The normal process for monitor inputs is to index events as they are added to the file.  Splunk keeps track of its position in the file so events are not duplicated in the index.

If you need later updates to be included in the same event, consider having Splunk wait for additional data before indexing the file.  See the  multiline_event_extra_waittime and  time_before_close settings in props.conf.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I guess that worked. I found these settings in inputs.conf file and not in props.conf file.

Thanks.!

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...