Getting Data In

Index whitelisting and blacklisting not work in forwarders

sigma
Path Finder

Hi all,

I have a number a forwarder that sends a lot of logs to different indexes. For example, there are three indexes: Windows, Linux, and Firewall.
A new cluster has been set up and I am planning to forward only some logs to the new cluster based on the index name.
For example, consider that between the three indexes of Windows, Linux, and Firewall, I'm going to send only Firewall to the new cluster.
This is the configuration that I tried to create:

[tcpout]
defaultGroup = dag,dag-n

[tcpout:dag]
disabled = false
server = p0:X,p1:Y

[tcpout:dag-n]
disabled = false
server = pn:Z
forwardedindex.0.whitelist = firewall
forwardedindex.1.blacklist = .*

but unfortunately, some logs of both Windows and Linux indexes are still sent to the new cluster, and because an index is not considered for them in the new cluster, they frequently cause errors.

The thing that came to my mind was that maybe I should empty the default whitelist and blacklist first. Anyone have any ideas?

Labels (4)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Per the outputs.conf.spec file,

# These settings are only applicable under the global [tcpout] stanza.
# This filter does not work if it is created under any other stanza.
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...