Getting Data In

Index internal logs locally and forward all other logs

k31453
Explorer

As title suggest, i want to index internal logs only and forwards all other logs to forwarders or idxs.

Here is the setup :

• I have one cluster and three indexes setup seperately outside cluster.
  • Cluster has CM, SH and three indexers.
  • Those Three indexers i want to use as Heavy forwarder to send all logs out to external indexes

Following is default output.conf:

[tcpout]
maxQueueSize = auto
forwardedindex.0.whitelist = .*
forwardedindex.1.blacklist = _.*
forwardedindex.2.whitelist = (_audit|_internal|_introspection|_telemetry|_metrics|_metrics_rollup)
forwardedindex.filter.disable = false
indexAndForward = false

Here is what I have done outputs.conf

[tcpout]
defaultGroup=noforward
disabled=false

[indexAndForward]
index=true
selectiveIndexing=true

[tcpout:forwarders]
server:<forwarders>:9997

Below is my props.conf

[default]
TRANSFORMS-forwardit = forwardit

[host::*.foo.splunk.com]
TRANSFORMS-routing = indexing

Below is transforms.conf

[forwardit]
REGEX = .
DEST_KEY = _TCP_ROUTING
FORMAT = forwarders

[indexing]
REGEX = .
DEST_KEY = _INDEX_AND_FORWARD_ROUTING
FORMAT = local

Essentially all internal indexes should stay within cluster indexes but rest of index or logs forwarded to external indexes.

Labels (2)
0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@k31453 

I believe you are looking for below: Note: you can only index _internal logs using this method.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.0/Forwarding/Routeandfilterdatad#Selective_indexing...

————————————
If this helps, give a like below.
0 Karma

k31453
Explorer

Well. This tells me i have to use inputs.conf to ensure routing. By default I want to forward logs. But if i see internal logs i will index it and not forward it. This basically is telling me i have to put _INDEX_AND_FORWARD_ROUTING on all internal inputs.conf this can cause the issue. 

0 Karma

k31453
Explorer

For me by default i want to forward new indexes created and internal indexes has to be indexed locally. My thoughts is , setup tcpgroup for forwarders and in outputs.conf and inputs.conf i should modify but not sure how.

0 Karma

k31453
Explorer

Hi, if the intention is to index all internal indexes, i have set _INDEX_AND_FORWARD_ROUTING and 

_TCP_ROUTING which can cause the issue.

0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@k31453 

The Splunk Doc is very much detailed on the question you have asked. check it out using below link.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.0/Forwarding/Routeandfilterdatad#Perform_selective_...

————————————
If this helps, give a like below.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...