Getting Data In

In an apps can I reuse lookup result to be used in another lookup?

ggoupil

I am developing an apps, where I would like to normalize the value of a field coming from a lookup.

From the documentation of props.conf, it is clear that it is not possible to have an eval after a lookup. Though it is not really clear to me if the value from a lookup can be reused in another lookup.

For example in my props.conf I am trying to do something like this:

LOOKUP-01 = mykvstore kvstoref1 as eventf1 OUTPUT kvstoref2 as eventf2
LOOKUP-02 = mycsvlookup csvf1 as eventf2 OUTPUT csvf2 as eventf3

I extract a value from mykvstore and save it in event field eventf2. Then I want to use the value of the event field eventf2 to retrieve my normalized value and save it in eventf3. I am not able to have this example working but I can't find if this is because I am using wrong syntax, or if this is just not supported in Splunk.

What I really want, it is to have this normalization handled by the apps, and not having to do extra transformation when executing the search.

0 Karma

gfreitas
Builder

Hi,

An easy way to assess if you are using the correct syntax is to enter this lookup command on the search. If it does not give you any error than the command is correct. In my splunk instalaltion I can use a lookup with a field from another lookup.

0 Karma

ggoupil

Thanks for the answer. When I am using the following in my search, indeed this is working. For example, something like:
* | lookup mykvstore kvstoref1 as eventf1 OUTPUT kvstoref2 as eventf2 | lookup mycsvlookup csvf1 as eventf2 OUTPUT csvf2 as eventf3

Though what I am really looking for, it is to have it working in my apps. Any idea how I can have it working?

Thanks!

0 Karma

gfreitas
Builder

Yes, I have an app with two lookups that works exactly as you mentioned, follow the props.conf:

[sourcetype]
LOOKUP-clients = clients host OUTPUTNEW client
LOOKUP-approval = approval domain client OUTPUTNEW approval

After that I can see on my search "sourcetype=sourcetype" returning client and approval fields for matching events.

Hope this helps.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...