Getting Data In

In a cluster with a replication factor of 3, if one indexer is replaced, will a copy of the data from the 2 working indexers replicate to the new indexer?

sympatiko
Communicator

Hi splunkers,

Good day! I have a clustered setup of RF=3 and SF=3. I'm just curious, what if one of my indexers needs to be replaced because of a certain outage (server outage). Does the copy of the data from the two working indexers replicate to the new indexer replacement?

Thanks

1 Solution

Venkat_16
Contributor

once the new indexer comes into the cluster it automatically replicates to new cluster. we also need to copy n paste indexes & server.conf.
once you deploy the same app (which is pushed to other indexers) to the new indexer, with same cluster master.. it automatically does it

View solution in original post

mahamed_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The cluster master goes by the replication policies you set. In your case it's RF/SF = 3. At the time of adding new indexer, if all the policies are already met (ie, the system has 3 copies of all data), then the old data will not be replicated on the new indexer.

sympatiko
Communicator

Hi mohamed,,

Thanks for the info! What I mean is what if I will replace 1 of my indexer with a new and fresh splunk indexer and put it in the same cluster. Does the old data on the two indexers be replicated to the replacement indexer? If not, is there any way to do it?

Thanks for the time.

0 Karma

Venkat_16
Contributor

once the new indexer comes into the cluster it automatically replicates to new cluster. we also need to copy n paste indexes & server.conf.
once you deploy the same app (which is pushed to other indexers) to the new indexer, with same cluster master.. it automatically does it

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yeah, this applies to old data as well as new data.

The master's goal is to make sure every bucket has three searchable copies according to your configuration, and once it has three indexers it will tell them to achieve that goal.

sympatiko
Communicator

Hi martin,

Thank u so much! Appreciated!!

0 Karma

sympatiko
Communicator

Hi Venkat,

Thanks for your info. Is the whole data being replicated? I'm talking about the old data. Example, my two indexer is already 2 months running then I add a new indexer, does it replicate the whole 2 months old data as well?

Thanks you so much!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...