Getting Data In

If I have multiple applications sending logs to Splunk, what is the best practice for splitting data by application?

davidsaadeh

If I'm running multiple applications, say we have a mobile application, a web application, and some back end services applications and they all send their logs to the same Splunk server, what is the best way to distinguish/split/group logs by application? I was thinking:
1- Send the application name in the log entry
2- Create a UDP port data entry for each of the applications and filter on these ports.

Is there a better way for doing this?

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

We have our logs going to specific indexes based upon the application sending the data and the type of data it's sending. We have an index for web service calls, another index for access calls such as web requests, another index for our release environment etc.. We have 4 public facing applications including our mobile sites which all the web requests go to the same index and we than created a field which we could easily define which application we wanted to look at. Joining indexes or creating subsearches can kill search performance so we decided to go this route.

You may not want to have the same set up but you will need to ask yourself how often you will need to search across your applications, is everything isolated between applications, do you have dedicated servers for each application etc.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...