Getting Data In

I want to monitor my email directory

chris94089
Path Finder

We see lots of email alerts, and they come from a wide variety of places.  I want to understand them better.  So...

I thought I would have Splunk monitor the offensive email directory on my own machine (elmx files).  Splunk doesn't automatically break events by file, though.  

So then I tried to configure a custom sourcetype using regex, I just captured the beginning and ending lines, and the sourcetype works for a single email file.  

But when I tried to monitor the entire directory using my sourcetype, no data was ingested at all.

Why is this so hard? Splunk already knows that there's different sources, do I want Splunk to stop event breaking altogether? I'll try that...

thanks in advance!

Labels (2)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Please post your current inputs.conf and props.conf files for the elmx files a well as some sample data (sanitized for your protection).
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...