Getting Data In

How will Splunk handle the clock change for leap seconds in June 2012?

mctester
Communicator

See this webpage for reference - http://www.timeanddate.com/time/leapseconds.html

On June 30 2012, an extra second will be added to UTC, which will result in events with a timestamp of 'Jun 30 23:59:60' - Will Splunk recognize this as a valid timestamp?

I have multiline event log files that are broken based on the timestamp in the events, will Splunk still break the events properly?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

matt
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you are breaking events based on timestamps, that extraction should still work as the format of the timestamp will not change and that is what the linebreaking processor is interested in. What that timestamp actually means in real terms is not a consideration when identifying where to break events.

Any events containing the timestamp with a leap second will be indexed as 23:59:59, and will be searchable.

View solution in original post

ntbahriti_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There is an interesting wiki about the leap second at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_second, for those curious to better understand.

0 Karma

matt
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you are breaking events based on timestamps, that extraction should still work as the format of the timestamp will not change and that is what the linebreaking processor is interested in. What that timestamp actually means in real terms is not a consideration when identifying where to break events.

Any events containing the timestamp with a leap second will be indexed as 23:59:59, and will be searchable.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...