Getting Data In

How to use date in filename as the timestamp for each event?

lyndac
Contributor

I need to index files that are summaries of data for a particular day. The data within the file is basically csv format with a delimiter of ":". There is NO timestamp (or just date or just time) in the data, but there is a date in the filename --the filename format is XX_wordshere_20150921

I know that I can do search-time extraction to pull the XX out of the source field. How do I get splunk to use the date in the filename + a time of 12:00:00 as the time stamp for each event in the file?

0 Karma
1 Solution

lyndac
Contributor

I was able to get splunk to use the date from the file name, but there had to be a time value on the events.

So, I now pre-process the file before it is indexed. I wrote a script to create an time stamp by extracting the date from the file name and then append a static time stamp (it looks like: "2015-11-02 12:00:00"). I then append that timestamp to each event in the file.

View solution in original post

mthomas_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This is possible in Splunk Enterprise 7.2, making use of the new ingest-time eval. Full documentation is at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Data/IngestEval.

Example

File Name: Log_I15_13092018.txt
File Name Format: Log_I15_%d%m%Y.txt
_time value assigned to events: 13/09/2018 00:00:00.000

props.conf

[mysourcetype]
TRANSFORMS=timestampeval

transforms.conf

[timestampeval]
INGEST_EVAL = _time=strptime(replace(source,".*(?=/)/",""),"Log_I15_%d%m%Y.txt")

This takes the "source" metadata value (which is the path and file name), removes the path, then extracts the date from the filename. The time defaults to 00:00:00.

All events in the file will have the same _time when imported.

sarit_s
Communicator

Hello
this is my file format for example :

2019-04-03T07:33:05.929Z_1.91.0.192_1.88.0.0_5.9.6418.0.zip

can you help me out with it ?

please note that my files are indexed from S3 bucket using aws app
should i use transforms file or something in aws app ?

0 Karma

jwelsh_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @sarit_s,

Sorry, I should have explained how mine works, will help you understand with regards to your question.

1. The replace(source,".*(?=/)/","") is grouping all leading characters up to the last "/", including the last "/" in the full source path and replacing them with nothing, effectively removing them. You'll need to so something similar for yours.
  2. strptime is converting the remaining portion of #1 to unix time for Splunk to index. Your expression will need to be something like: "%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%3NZ" to properly identify 2019-04-03T07:33:05.929Z.

Hope this helps?

0 Karma

jwelsh_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thanks for sharing, @mthomas_splunk ! Great "hack" - much more elegant than using datetime.xml and source.

Here's my example that also worked:

[timestampeval]

Sample source = 2015-04-26T14:12:53+00:00_757497010.gpx

INGEST_EVAL = _time=strptime(replace(source,".*(?=/)/",""),"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%:z")

0 Karma

lyndac
Contributor

I was able to get splunk to use the date from the file name, but there had to be a time value on the events.

So, I now pre-process the file before it is indexed. I wrote a script to create an time stamp by extracting the date from the file name and then append a static time stamp (it looks like: "2015-11-02 12:00:00"). I then append that timestamp to each event in the file.

lyndac
Contributor

I have tried to follow the suggested posts, but it is not working. My filename is AB_countMetrics_20150921.csv. There is no date or time value in the actual data. I'd like the timestamp for each event in the file to be 2015-09-21_12:00:00.000.

I think that the default _masheddate defined in the datetime.xml file should parse the date, but I'm not confident in my REGEX skills.

For the props.conf settings, do I set the TIME_FORMAT entry to what I want it to be, or to what it is in the file?

I'm thinking the problem is the lack of time value anywhere to be found. Can the hh:mm:ss portion be set to a static value in the datetime.xml file?

0 Karma

nikita_p
Contributor

Hi,
Even i'm facing the same issue. I don't have time or date field in my events and i want to pick date from my filename. Also i tried above steps with changes in regex of datetime.xml, still there are no results.
@lyndac: Have you got any solution for this problem?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...