Getting Data In

How to upload wevtutil generated xml file of Security log into Splunk?

ageld2020

I have a situation when I need to dump a remote Security log with wevtutil and subseqently upload it into Splunk to cross-correlate it with XmlWinEventlog sourcetype logs.  

I hoped that the XML structure of wevtutil XML file is the same as the structure of the file received by Splunk from Universal Forwarders.  It looks like it is not the case.

I tried to upload the XML file into Splunk, but for some reason Splunk converts it into a bunch of unicode characters rather than recognizing it as XML file.  Selecting XmlWinEventlog sourcetype did not help either.

I wonder if anyone managed to load XML file created by wevtutil utility into Splunk with proper field extraction.

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...