Getting Data In

How to update indexes.conf files on unclustered production indexers?

packet_hunter
Contributor

I have to define some new indexes on production indexers (in the indexes.conf).
I have 4 indexers running.
Someone else setup an app to send_data_to_indexers (a basic outputs.conf) as follows

[tcpout]
 defaultGroup = default-autolb-group

[tcpout:default-autolb-group]

server = splunkindexer1.mycorp.com:9997, splunkindexer2.mycorp.com:9997, splunkindexer3.mycorp.com:9997, splunkindexer4.mycorp.com:9997

[tcpout-server://splunkindexer1.mycorp.com:9997]

My question is: If this outputs.conf is being used for all data being sent to the indexers, then can I edit the indexes.conf on each indexer and then restart one at a time?

Or is there a better way to do this?

Thank you

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi packet_hunter,

in your outputs.conf you should have four lines as the last one

[tcpout-server://splunkindexer2.mycorp.com:9997]
[tcpout-server://splunkindexer3.mycorp.com:9997]
[tcpout-server://splunkindexer4.mycorp.com:9997]

Anyway, I see that you configured your indexers in auto load balancing so, if one of them is down for update, the others continue to receive logs from Universal Forwarders.
The only problem is that, during downtime, data on this indexers aren't searchable.

What's your requirement: don't lose any log or have always logs searchable?

If your requirement is don't lose any log, you haven't problems; in addition remember that receiving logs only from Universal Forwarder you can also stop all the indexers at the same time, because UFs cache logs when Indexers aren't available.

If instead your requirement is to always have logs searchable, you must use an Indexer Cluster.

Bye.
Giuseppe

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi packet_hunter,

in your outputs.conf you should have four lines as the last one

Anyway, I see that you configured your indexers in auto load balancing so, if one of them is down for update, the others continue to receive logs from Universal Forwarders.
The only problem is that, during downtime, data on this indexers aren't searchable.

What's your requirement: don't lose any log or have always logs searchable?

If your requirement is don't lose any log, you haven't problems; in addition remember that receiving logs only from Universal Forwarder you can also stop all the indexers at the same time, because UFs cache logs when Indexers aren't available.

If instead your requirement is to always have logs searchable, you must use an Indexer Cluster.

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

packet_hunter
Contributor

Thank you Cusello.

I plan to update after hours, search-ability should not be a big concern. Primary concern is to not lose data.
I really appreciate your insight.

Regarding your code that you provided above, do I need to rewrite the code that I am using for autoLB?
If I am understanding correctly, is this what you mean?

[tcpout]
 defaultGroup = default-autolb-group

[tcpout:default-autolb-group]

server = splunkindexer1.mycorp.com:9997, splunkindexer2.mycorp.com:9997, splunkindexer3.mycorp.com:9997, splunkindexer4.mycorp.com:9997

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi packet_hunter,
Yes correct!

how do you deploy outputs.conf?
I suggest to insert it in a dedicated TA to deploy using Deployment Server.
In this way you have a more feasible solution: you can modify outputs.conf of all UFs in one shot.

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

packet_hunter
Contributor

Thank you for confirming.
Yes we use the deployment server to push out the output.conf as an app to the UFs.

For example we create an app called OutputsToIndexers

and within this app is the code I provided above.

Is this scenario what you are recommending?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes.
Thank You.
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...