Getting Data In

How to troubleshoot not receiving data in a specific index from a specific host?

splunk_luis12
Path Finder

Hi folks,

I have a host that is sending different logs to Splunk, this host sends various logs successfully except for the syslog-ng logs.

Here you have an example of the inputs config (there are 3 inputs in this way not being received by Splunk)

[monitor:///store/data/log/cisco_ise]
disabled = false
host = xxxxxxxxxx
index = syslog
sourcetype = cisco:ise

• Inputs appear when using the command 'splunk list monitor', then it doesn't seem a permissions issue.
  • Other logs are being successfully ingested by this host.
  • the syslog-ng is working as expected and it is receiving and storing logs on the hdd

Does anyone has an idea of steps I can follow to troubleshoot this?

Thanks in advance,

0 Karma

matt8679
Path Finder

I'm guessing its a permission issue with your syslog-ng directory. I would check that your user running splunk has the proper permissions to ingest the logs. I would compare the permissions of the files that work to the syslog-ng files.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If the host is having problems reading certain logs or sending them to the indexers then there should be messages to that effect in splunkd.log.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...