Getting Data In

How to trace or tag events to know which specific Heavy Forwarder the events have passed through?

kearaspoor
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

We've got more than a dozen Heavy Forwarders (HF) that are behind a pair of load balancers that handle all our system log (syslog) traffic. Is there any way to trace back or tag the events to know which specific HF they were passed through?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi kearaspoor,

You can always use props.conf and transforms.conf on each of the HWF to add or change any data going through this HWF. Take a look at this answer https://answers.splunk.com/answers/40848/how-can-i-rewrite-add-info-from-metadata-to-the-contents-of... which provides a solution to add a host and source into the _raw data.

Be advised that this will increase license usage and also could produce other complications - this is only to show you that it is possible 😉

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

kearaspoor
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thanks for the suggestion. We're currently bumping our license limit so thank you for the warning about that particular complication.

I'll also have to ponder this a bit because I want to keep the existing host/source information I just want to add the heavy forwarder as a troubleshooting/monitoring function. Not to mention the complications of managing separate props/transforms on each heavy forwarder.. I hadn't previously considered that added complexity. But you've given me a good place to start. Thank you!

0 Karma

jrbanks6
Explorer

On prem or cloud? Source IP and port against your firewall logs if it is the latter. Are all the events indexed in single file?

0 Karma

kearaspoor
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's a range of devices including routers, switches, firewall, various security and networking appliances so they're ending up in a half-dozen or so individual indexes.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...