Getting Data In

How to split JSON events to usable format?

Barty
Explorer

Good morning all,

Complete novice with JSON workings, but essentially I have managed to configure a REST api that's ingesting the result of an alternative monitoring tool (sacrilage I know), running version 7.3.0. The events are coming in in JSON format as follows:-

{ [-]
channels: [ [-]
{ [-]
lastvalue: 0 #
lastvalue_raw: 0
name: $["Data"]["Attributes"]["ConnectionTime"]
name_raw: $["Data"]["Attributes"]["ConnectionTime"]
}
{ [-]
lastvalue: 15,204 #
lastvalue_raw: 15204
name: $["Data"]["Attributes"]["DownloadTime"]
name_raw: $["Data"]["Attributes"]["DownloadTime"]
}
{ [-]
name: $["Data"]["Attributes"]["ErrorCode"]
name_raw: $["Data"]["Attributes"]["ErrorCode"]
}
{ [-]
name: $["Data"]["Attributes"]["ResolveTime"]
name_raw: $["Data"]["Attributes"]["ResolveTime"]
}
{ [-]
lastvalue: 2,190 #
lastvalue_raw: 2190
name: $["Data"]["Attributes"]["ServerId"]
name_raw: $["Data"]["Attributes"]["ServerId"]
}

What I was hoping to do was produce a simple search that displays the name: $["Data"]["Attributes"] field with the corrseponding last_value next to it. However, as this is coming in as an array, I cannot simply do that and despite some search manipulation, I feel I'm moving further and further away from a simpler solution. Would someone be able to assist me in separating out the name: $["Data"]["Attributes"] fields into separate useable fields, and taking the lastvalue with it please?

Raw event looks as such:-

{"version":"19.3.51.2830","treesize":0,"channels":[{"name":"$["Data"]["Attributes"]["ConnectionTime"]","name_raw":"$[\"Data\"][\"Attributes\"][\"ConnectionTime\"]","lastvalue":"0 #","lastvalue_raw":0.0000},{"name":"$["Data"]["Attributes"]["DownloadTime"]","name_raw":"$[\"Data\"][\"Attributes\"][\"DownloadTime\"]","lastvalue":"15,204 #","lastvalue_raw":15204.0000},{"name":"$["Data"]["Attributes"]["ErrorCode"]","name_raw":"$[\"Data\"][\"Attributes\"][\"ErrorCode\"]","lastvalue":"0 #","lastvalue_raw":0.0000},{"name":"$["Data"]["Attributes"]["ResolveTime"]","name_raw":"$[\"Data\"][\"Attributes\"][\"ResolveTime\"]","lastvalue":"0 #","lastvalue_raw":0.0000},{"name":"$["Data"]["Attributes"]["ServerId"]","name_raw":"$[\"Data\"][\"Attributes\"][\"ServerId\"]","lastvalue":"2,190 #","lastvalue_raw":2190.0000},{"name":"$["Data"]["Attributes"]["StagingMode"]","name_raw":"$[\"Data\"][\"Attributes\"][\"StagingMode\"]","lastvalue":"0 #","lastvalue_raw":0.0000},{"name":"$["Data"]["Attributes"]["TotalTime"]","name_raw":"$[\"Data\"][\"Attributes\"][\"TotalTime\"]","lastvalue":"15,204 #","lastvalue_raw":15204.0000},{"name":"$["Data"]["Id"]","name_raw":"$[\"Data\"][\"Id\"]","lastvalue":"51,237,312,666 #","lastvalue_raw":51237312666.0000},{"name":"$["Relationships"]["0"]["Id"]","name_raw":"$[\"Relationships\"][\"0\"][\"Id\"]","lastvalue":"2,190 #","lastvalue_raw":2190.0000},{"name":"$["Relationships"]["1"]["Id"]","name_raw":"$[\"Relationships\"][\"1\"][\"Id\"]","lastvalue":"51,237,312,666 #","lastvalue_raw":51237312666.0000},{"name":"Download Time","lastvalue":"0 s","lastvalue_raw":0.0000},{"name":"Downtime","lastvalue":""},{"name":"Error Code","lastvalue":"0 #","lastvalue_raw":0.0000},{"name":"Response Time","lastvalue":"350 msec","lastvalue_raw":350.0000}]}

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

1) you are looking for the spath command.

2) Your ingestion stanzas should be telling the system that the sourcetype is a json, so it can do autoextraction.

3) Splunk happily accepts data from any monitoring or analysis tool, IoT object, or other monitoring solution, and it's not sacrilege, its canon. mmooooarrr daaataaa!!!! 😉

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...