Getting Data In

How to search for devices/servers not reporting to Splunk?

waJesu
Path Finder

I have two queries I want to merge and I need expert help. The first one returns reporting devices as good and non-reporting devices as missing. The second one returns the missing devices with a heartbeat but not sending logs. Help me come up with one query that would show results for Good, Heartbeat and Missing:

| tstats latest(_time) as latest where index="*" earliest=-5d by host
| eval recent = if(latest > relative_time(now(),"-15m"),"Good","Missing"), realLatest = strftime(latest,"%c")

| tstats latest(_time) as latest where index="_*" earliest=-5d by host
| eval recent = if(latest > relative_time(now(),"-15m"),"Heartbeat","Missing"), realLatest = strftime(latest,"%c")
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

See if this helps.

| tstats latest(_time) as latest where (index="*" OR index=_internal) earliest=-5d by host
| eval recent = case(index!=_internal AND latest > relative_time(now(),"-15m"),"Good", 
                     index!=_internal AND latest <= relative_time(now(),"-15m"), "Missing", 
                     index=_internal AND latest > relative_time(now(),"-15m"), "Heartbeat", 
                     1==1, "Missing"), 
       realLatest = strftime(latest,"%c")

Standard disclaimer: don't use index=* in production.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

waJesu
Path Finder

This is the error I am getting after running the query:

waJesu_0-1685552569002.png

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I dropped a comma in my reply.  It's fixed.

---
0 Karma

waJesu
Path Finder

Thank you. I think you forgot to attach the corrected query.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Didn't forget.  The correction is in the original query.

---
0 Karma

waJesu
Path Finder

I am not sure why it's returning "Missing only even on devices that are reporting. Maybe the query needs a tweak?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Query has been tweaked.

---
0 Karma

waJesu
Path Finder

Maybe I am missing something. It's still returning "Missing" for everything.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please have a look at the case function and verify the logic there meets your business requirements.

---
0 Karma

waJesu
Path Finder

I think it does. We want the query to return devices sending logs as Good, those not reporting as Missing and those missing yet have a heartbeat as Heartbeat. That's what the case function is saying. I am actually surprised I am not getting expected results.

0 Karma

waJesu
Path Finder

Good morning.  Any new thoughts as to why my results are showing "Missing" only even for devices/servers I know to be reporting? Anything to tweak the query somehow?

0 Karma

waJesu
Path Finder

Good morning.  Any new thoughts as to why my results are showing "Missing" only even for devices/servers I know to be reporting? Anything to tweak the query somehow?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...