Getting Data In

How to resolve latency between event time and index time?

uagraw01
Builder

My index time is 7/6/20 3:37:42.210 PM 

My event time is 07/06/20 10:37:42.210 CDT

My TIME_FORMAT=%x %H:%M:%S.%3N%Z

But still, by referencing the above time, we can see the latency between index time and event time. Please suggest how to resolve this.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Is the index time in UTC or CDT? If the former, then there's no latency.
If the event time is in CDT then you have a latency of exactly 5 hours, which usually indicates a time zone setting error.
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

uagraw01
Builder

@richgalloway event time is CDT. So what i need to do.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Verify the source system has its time zone set correctly.
Verify the data source is sending the right timestamps.
Consider changing the TIME_FORMAT setting to drop the "%Z".
---
0 Karma

uagraw01
Builder

@richgalloway So you want me to use only TIME_FORMAT=%x %H:%M:%S.%3N and remove %Z?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
If the timestamp in the event does not contain a time zone indication (or contains the wrong one) then "%Z" should not be part of TIME_FORMAT.
---
0 Karma

uagraw01
Builder

@richgalloway  Yes i will check, please let me know if source system and that source system logs are different timestamps, then it will create any latency ? And how to solve that?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Splunk indexes events as soon as they are received. An incorrect timestamp may generate a warning message, but will not cause index latency.
However, an incorrect TIME_FORMAT setting can cause Splunk to mis-interpret a timestamp and index it incorrectly, thus creating the appearance of latency.
---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...