Getting Data In

How to rename an index?

Justin_Grant
Contributor

Can we rename indexes in Splunk? If so, how?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Simeon
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

As there are implications with searches and filter settings, I would not recommend doing this. Instead, I would create a new index with a similar name.

If you absolutely must rename an index, you could do so as follows (in 4.1.4 or earlier):

1. Create a new index with the name you want (manually in the indexes.conf file or GUI)

2. Stop Splunk

3. Move the $SPLUNK_DB/<old_index> directory to $SPLUNK_DB/<new_index>

4. Start Splunk

You will see that Splunk will create a new index in the old index location and use the old index with the new naming convention. After you confirm functionality, you can just delete the old index from Splunk and the system (even though it will be empty).

View solution in original post

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This might be another approach:

You would need to run this on your indexer and deployment server to change the inputs.conf.

Update files:
grep -Ril oldIndexName ${SPLUNK_HOME} | xargs -I{} perl -pi -e "s/oldIndexName/newIndexName/g" {}

Then change folder names (I don't have a good auto-way yet):
find ${SPLUNK_HOME} -depth -name oldIndexName

0 Karma

Simeon
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

As there are implications with searches and filter settings, I would not recommend doing this. Instead, I would create a new index with a similar name.

If you absolutely must rename an index, you could do so as follows (in 4.1.4 or earlier):

1. Create a new index with the name you want (manually in the indexes.conf file or GUI)

2. Stop Splunk

3. Move the $SPLUNK_DB/<old_index> directory to $SPLUNK_DB/<new_index>

4. Start Splunk

You will see that Splunk will create a new index in the old index location and use the old index with the new naming convention. After you confirm functionality, you can just delete the old index from Splunk and the system (even though it will be empty).

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

TIP: Remember to update any references of the old index to the new index (inputs.conf from your forwarders).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...