Getting Data In

How to parse JSON mvfield into a proper table with a different line for each node named for a value in the node

stroud_bc
Path Finder

I have run into this barrier a lot while processing Azure logs: I want to do something intuitive like

|stats count by appliedConditionalAccessPolicies{}.displayName, appliedConditionalAccessPolicies{}.result

but since there are multiple instances of each displayName-d policy per event and all of the sub-values that have the same name are MV-fielded together, my results are much less meaningful than I had intended.

I'm sure the answer to this involves |spath, but I'm struggling to wrap the examples I see here and here around my data.

stroud_bc_0-1598281993750.png

Ideal result makes this: 

|stats count by appliedConditionalAccessPolicies{}.displayName AS policy_name, appliedConditionalAccessPolicies{}.result AS result

produce something like this:

policy_name    
application_policy  failure 12398
application_policy  success 9889898
phone_policy success 1238988

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
| spath appliedConditionalAccessPolicies{} output=appliedConditionalAccessPolicies
| stats count by appliedConditionalAccessPolicies
| spath input=appliedConditionalAccessPolicies
| table as_you_like

"stats by" is used for JSON arrays. 

View solution in original post

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
| spath appliedConditionalAccessPolicies{} output=appliedConditionalAccessPolicies
| stats count by appliedConditionalAccessPolicies
| spath input=appliedConditionalAccessPolicies
| table as_you_like

"stats by" is used for JSON arrays. 

stroud_bc
Path Finder

THANK YOU. I've been wrestling with spath for a long time and this example made a lot of things click for me. Exactly what I was looking for (and what I have been looking for when dealing with JSON for ages)

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you use spath to get your two mv arrays (displayName and result), then mvzip them to a new array, mvexpand that array to get new events, and do your stats on those events (perhaps splitting up the values in the new array to get displayName and result in separate columns again)?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...