Getting Data In

How to monitor servers using splunk

2powder

I have been tasked with figuring out how to monitor server activity using splunk and create alerts

0 Karma

2powder

For example, let's say that we have 10 servers that all run the same code. The traffic is load balanced and the code performs a process, that either completes successfully. At the end of the process there is a flag that is set such as "Successful = yes or no". There is also a couple of identifiers such as the vendor ie. "ABC Company" and then there is a unique "Process ID". This process is called real time 24/7. What I am looking for is an alert that will alert me (and others) when a certain threshold has been exceeded. For example, for ABC Company if the Successful = no count < 5 during a certain time period then no alert, but as soon as it goes over 5, then I am alerted.

I hope that this helped.

Thank you

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

First step is to collect the relevant data from the logs (I assume). The moment you have the data, you can work on the alerts.

0 Karma

2powder

That information is already being collected

0 Karma

davebrooking
Contributor
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Could you provide more details on what you mean by "server activity"?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...