Getting Data In

How to make sure all servers checking in with the deployment server use FQDN?

jlemoine
Path Finder

I've noticed that among all of the universal forwarders checking in with my deployment server, there is no consistency in which hosts are fully qualified domain names (FQDN), e.g. myserver.mydomain.com, and which hosts just check in with short names, e.g. myserver.

Can someone tell me how to control this function? Ideally, I want all servers checking in with the deployment server to use FQDNs.

Thanks in advance!

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Edit server.conf:

hostnameOption = <ASCII string>
* The option used to specify the detail in the server name used to identify this Splunk instance.
* Can be one of "fullyqualifiedname" , "clustername", "shortname"
* Is applicable to Windows only
* Shall not be an empty string

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Edit server.conf:

hostnameOption = <ASCII string>
* The option used to specify the detail in the server name used to identify this Splunk instance.
* Can be one of "fullyqualifiedname" , "clustername", "shortname"
* Is applicable to Windows only
* Shall not be an empty string

jlemoine
Path Finder

Thank you.

Interesting about the "only to applicable to Windows only" caveat.

Actually, now that I look at it, it is only the Windows hosts that are not qualified on the forwarder management page. All of the *nix hosts are.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...