Getting Data In

How to ingest only a specific file type within a tar.gz?

thisissplunk
Builder

I've got a ton of tar.gz's to ingest. Each one has three files in it, with one "results.txt" file that actually needs to be ingested. Can I/How do I tell Splunk to read those archives but only ingest the "results.txt" csv file within it?

I have a feeling I'll need to decompress everything and add the parent file name or something onto reach "results.txt" but I'm trying really hard to avoid that.

I understand inputs.conf, but I'm pretty sure I can only point Splunk to ingest the tar.gz files, not the files within the archives.

0 Karma

bcyates
Communicator

You can set a whitelist in your input stanza to only include files that read "results.txt" in the file name but if it's just one csv that you're interested in, it may be easier to untar and just upload the csv as a lookup table

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...