Getting Data In

How to get URL filtering logs from Palo Alto into Splunk?

craigmueller

Hello,
I am trying to find out how to get URL filtering logs from a Palo Alto into Splunk.

I do not see a URL filter log option in the "Log Forwarding Profile"

I have the Palo Alto plug-in installed in Splunk.

If it matters, I am using Splunk 6.1.

Thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Karma

mbenwell
Communicator

You don't need to do anything special with the Palo Splunk App

Assuming you have the appropriate security policy configured for url filtering, and that same policy is configured to forward syslog messages correctly.

There are a couple of things to look at. Most of the url logs are informational events. Check your syslog profile is set to send informational events.

Also in the URL filtering configuration (Objects>security profiles>URL filtering). Set the desired categories to an action of 'alert' and it will syslog them out.

Then in splunk they will appear as a sourcetype of "pan_threat"

There is also an option to 'log container page only' which will not log all content. Uncheck that and you should get everything.

0 Karma

craigmueller

@mbenwell

I know this is more of a PA question but, can you set up alerting for URLs on the URL Filtering Profile block list?

0 Karma

mbenwell
Communicator

I don't use the profile Block List text box, so can't really answer for that specific use. Usually setting the action to block should send a syslog message

If it doesn't log using the block list text box in the URL profile, you could try creating a custom category and add that to the URL profile.

0 Karma

ppablo
Retired

Hi @craigmueller

By "Palo Alto plug-in", are you referring to the Splunk for Palo Alto Networks app (https://apps.splunk.com/app/491/ ) or the TA-paloalto for the Splunk App for Enterprise Security (https://apps.splunk.com/app/263/ )?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...