Getting Data In

How to forward the entire contents of a CSV file even if its unchanged daily?

avansteen

Hello,
I'm attempting to forward a set of .csv files for administrator group auditing. However it only forwards, or at least the search only returns changes to the .csv file. For audit reasons, I need the entire contents of the .csv to ingest and not just the changes.

Is there a way to force the forwarder to ignore the fact it already gathered the data?

thanks,

0 Karma
1 Solution

marycordova
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@avansteen

Maybe you could use [batch://<path>] to import and delete the .csv everytime it reads it so that the file is indexed everytime a new one is created regardless of the filename. You would want to just setup up a job that would write out the complete file however often you need; daily, hourly, etc.

I'm not 100% positive but I think it would work and is worth testing. The one issue might be if something in the fishbucket remembers the file and doesn't read the new one.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.1.2/Admin/Inputsconf#BATCH_.28.22Upload_a_file.22_in_...

Another option...if this is a universal forwarder dedicated to only ingesting this .csv file, you could brute force the thing by creating a script and a cron job to blast out the fish bucket... but this would be dangerous if you are collecting any other data with that universal forwarder

@marycordova

View solution in original post

0 Karma

marycordova
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@avansteen

Maybe you could use [batch://<path>] to import and delete the .csv everytime it reads it so that the file is indexed everytime a new one is created regardless of the filename. You would want to just setup up a job that would write out the complete file however often you need; daily, hourly, etc.

I'm not 100% positive but I think it would work and is worth testing. The one issue might be if something in the fishbucket remembers the file and doesn't read the new one.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.1.2/Admin/Inputsconf#BATCH_.28.22Upload_a_file.22_in_...

Another option...if this is a universal forwarder dedicated to only ingesting this .csv file, you could brute force the thing by creating a script and a cron job to blast out the fish bucket... but this would be dangerous if you are collecting any other data with that universal forwarder

@marycordova
0 Karma

avansteen

Worked great once I read the instructions!

move_policy = sinkhole
* IMPORTANT: This setting is required. You must include "move_policy = sinkhole" when you define batch inputs.

Thank you,

0 Karma

marycordova
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

awesome 😄

@marycordova
0 Karma
*NEW* Splunk Love Promo!
Snag a $25 Visa Gift Card for Giving Your Review!

It's another Splunk Love Special! For a limited time, you can review one of our select Splunk products through Gartner Peer Insights and receive a $25 Visa gift card!

Review:

Or Learn More in Our Blog >>