Getting Data In

How to forward internal events through two forwarders?

Lowell
Super Champion

I am having trouble getting _internal and _audit to be forwarder properly when being passed through more than one forwarder. Any ideas on what I should try or why this doesn't not work?

Here is a simple example layout using 3 servers (a,b,c). Where splunk-a and splunk-b are normal forwarders (e.g. not light-weight forwarders), and splunk-c is the central indexer.

Splunk server diagram:

splunk-a  -->  splunk-b:9997  -->  splunk-c:9997

In my setup, all three servers are now running 4.0.10. I recently upgraded splunk-a and splunk-b from 3.4.x, and I am seeing some different results, but still not what would would expect.

What I'm finding is that internal events for splunk-a are being dropped, and with Splunk 3.4 these events were actually getting indexed on splunk-b, but in botch cases, the internal events are not being passed to splunk-c as I would expect them to be. All events that are generated on splunk-b are properly being forwarded and indexed on splunk-c, as expected.

I can update this post with my inputs.conf and outputs.conf upon request.

Background info: Our setup is such that we have a central splunk indexer (splunk-c) on our trusted network. We also have a central forwarding splunk instance in our DMZ (splunk-b), which forwards all splunk DMZ events (i.e. from splunk-a) to the trusted network. (From a networking/firewall perspective, this seems safer than letting just any machine in the DMZ forward events to our internal central splunk indexer. But I'm willing to rethink this if there are good reasons.)

Update: I somehow found a way to get the internal events to be forwarded across splunk-b. It seems like adding the _TCP_ROUTING entry for the receiving splunktcp port in inputs.conf made the difference. This input now looks like:

[splunktcp://9997]
_TCP_ROUTING = *
sourcetype = tcp-9997

Of course, there is still something very weird about this. The internal events seem lag between 2 to 7 minutes behind the rest of the events. (In other words, the latest events from the search host=splunk-a sourcetype=access_common will be from within the past 30 seconds or so, whereas the latest events from host=splunk-a index=_internal will often be many minutes old.

Update #2: This issue has gone away after upgrading splunk-a and splunk-b to 4.1.x. So if anyone else is running into similarity weird forwarding stuff, then I'd recommend upgrading to 4.1 based on my experiences.

I also had an issue with all events being double up from splunk-c (at one point it thought that only the _internal events were being doubled). Again, the upgrade 4.1. fixed this.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

jrodman
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Splunk, historically, had a policy of not forwarding events belonging to indexes beginning with underscores. This includes _internal.

To get _internal events to be forwarded for the light forwarder case (where there was no local indexing), this weird '_TCP_ROUTING = *' setting at the input layer was applied to override that policy to cause the events to be forwarded regardles.

Aside:

• I insisted this mysterious internal policy was pretty ridiculous, because it was not documented nor observable. It was essentially an invisible configuration setting. I filed a defect to move this behavior into the configuration files. So in 4.1, it is. Outputs.conf entries have an index blacklist what they're willing to accept and you can change it.

Meanwhile there is some sort of bug floating around regarding forwarding in 4.0.10, which you are probably seeing a manifestation of in your delays. More research / answering is required to address this. I think support should be engaged.

View solution in original post

jrodman
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Splunk, historically, had a policy of not forwarding events belonging to indexes beginning with underscores. This includes _internal.

To get _internal events to be forwarded for the light forwarder case (where there was no local indexing), this weird '_TCP_ROUTING = *' setting at the input layer was applied to override that policy to cause the events to be forwarded regardles.

Aside:

• I insisted this mysterious internal policy was pretty ridiculous, because it was not documented nor observable. It was essentially an invisible configuration setting. I filed a defect to move this behavior into the configuration files. So in 4.1, it is. Outputs.conf entries have an index blacklist what they're willing to accept and you can change it.

Meanwhile there is some sort of bug floating around regarding forwarding in 4.0.10, which you are probably seeing a manifestation of in your delays. More research / answering is required to address this. I think support should be engaged.

Lowell
Super Champion

Upgrading my forwarding systems to 4.1.x resolve my forwarding issues. (I also update the post, see "Update #2")

0 Karma

jrodman
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Credit goes to eng, jag picked up issue, designed the config for it, which is pretty reasonable.

0 Karma

Lowell
Super Champion

Thanks for your response. (Good work with the new forwardedindex.* settings, that does seem like a much more logical approach.) For the moment, I think I'll wait and see if 4.0.11 (once its released) fixes anything. Or perhaps give 4.1.1 a try (I hesitate on installing any x.y.0 version of anything on a production system).

0 Karma

Lowell
Super Champion

I updated the post. (All forwarders are heavy.) I'm not using SplunkForwarder app, but the same config values are being set. splunk-a is running a "semi-light" forwarder; we have a custom forwarding app that disables unused features, but all events are still being processed locally and forwarding cooked events; so therefore I think it would still be considered "heavy". (I worked with Splunk support to confirm the validity of our custom forwarding app.)

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

please indicate the type of forwarder, light or heavy, in each case.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...