Getting Data In

How to fix UNIX log parsing issue?

pm2012
Explorer

Hi Team,

I could see logs coming from UNIX devices in the below format

<38>Aug 1 13:20:29 dns.customer.net 10.32.9.5 sshd[14171]: Failed password for michal from 10.32.7.28 port 58255 ssh2

When i look into the selected events on the left panel these logs are not getting parse, like username, source ip , port, protocol. Any suggestion please. Logs are coming through rsyslog mechanism using TCP input from the device

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

Can you describe your environment? Single node, distributed environment, OS, have you UF for collection or HF? Is there any HF before your indexers / SH(s)? Where you have installed this TA?

r. Ismo

0 Karma

jotne
Builder

You are using Smart Mode or Verbose Mode, not Fast Mode

0 Karma

pm2012
Explorer

Smartmode

0 Karma

jotne
Builder

You have the Splunk Add-on for Unix and Linux installed?

0 Karma

pm2012
Explorer

Yeah it is installed

0 Karma

Simple_Search
Path Finder

Based on the tagging of SYSLOG based on the front tag, I would assume that this is being ingested into a syslog server and then sent to an Indexer or Heavy Forwarder. If this is the case, the Splunk Add-on is not going to help you in this situation if this is the case. I usually ingest the data from SYSLOG and then use regex to extract the field names when I am conducting searches.

If this is being monitored on the server that is using a Universal Forwarder, then ensure that you are monitoring the /var/log locations with the splunkbase app on the forwarder and on the indexer.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...