Getting Data In

How to exclude specific time ranges in search results

jedatt01
Builder

I have a datasource which contains availability statistics from an application. I also have a predetermined maintenance schedule that occurs every two weeks on the same day and time. How can I use search to exclude the date/time ranges for my maintenance schedule in my search results?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

If do something like this

index=yourIndex| eval MaintEnd=strptime("2014/03/26 11:00:00 AM","%Y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S %p") | eval MaintStart=strptime("2014/03/26 10:50:00 AM","%Y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S %p") | where _time > MaintEnd OR _time < MaintStart

View solution in original post

jiman7697
Explorer

If you're trying to detect a 0-event period excluding some outage window timeframe, here's a generic search you could use:

index=my_index sourcetype=my_sourcetype  my_filter_criteria_here
| timechart span=1m count 
| search count=0 
| where NOT (date_wday=="sunday" AND date_hour >= 0 AND date_hour < 4)

I'm doing the where clause after detecting 0-event minutes because if you initially filter by those windows, you'll see no events there. Obviously if you are looking for a certain event rather than monitoring for a void in events you can do that filter right in the first line of the search.
You'd have to add more to your where clause to specify bi-weekly windows.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

If do something like this

index=yourIndex| eval MaintEnd=strptime("2014/03/26 11:00:00 AM","%Y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S %p") | eval MaintStart=strptime("2014/03/26 10:50:00 AM","%Y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S %p") | where _time > MaintEnd OR _time < MaintStart

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If the maintenance window were every wednesday between 3am and 5am you could do this:

index=yourIndex NOT (date_wday=wednesday date_hour>=3 date_hour<5)

Then Splunk would not even load those events off disk - great if a lot of volume happens during maintenance.
However, I don't think there's a straightforward way of specifying "every other wednesday".

jedatt01
Builder

That gets me closer. Now how can I specify a relative day, like every friday?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...