Getting Data In

How to determine what is causing a Splunk indexer to consume more than 10% of the daily license?

steveirogers
Communicator

My environment generates on average about 12GB of logs daily (out of a license for 20GB). The Splunk indexer is generating on average about 1.5GB to 1.8GB daily log volume? This seems excessive / high? How could I determine what is causing the indexer to generate this high volume of logs? Or is this "normal"?

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

steveirogers
Communicator

Hello Kristian,
Thanks for the response. In digging into this further, it appears the bulk of the logs entries from indexer are coming from "/opt/splunk/var/log/splunk/metrics.log". I will check into this further.

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

These logs (metrics, splunkd etc) go into the _internal index, and are not counted towards your license.
/k

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Well, there can be quite a few events in the _internal index, but they are only retained for 30 days by default. However, these are not counted towards your license allowance.

A separate thing could be that you have regular log files that are being indexed in your system which seem to come from your indexer. I.e. if you mount a remote share from your indexer, and read the files from there Depending on how you do your configs, these events may be labeled as coming from your indexer (and will count towards your license).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...