Getting Data In

How to delete indexed data from disk?

vtrend
Engager

I have an index = 'telemetry' which gets data from a local directory on standalone Splunk installation.

I deleted some data from above index which came in from particular directory using command

index='telemetry'  source="/data/01/*" | delete

The above index has still more data from other sources (e.g. "/data/02" ..)

I want to re-index the data from deleted directory i.e. "/data/01" again.
Running splunk clean eventdata involves deleting entire index.

I want to wipe from disk only that part of data that has been deleted above so that I can re-index it back. How can I achieve this?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

vtrend
Engager

@venkatasri  Thanks Venkat for helping me out.

I tested by re-ingesting same data but Splunk is not indexing it back, the job runs, but no results. Searching around the forums, few users mentioned I need to either clean the index or delete fishbuckets etc which I was trying to avoid.

0 Karma

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@vtrend 

How are you re-ingesting the data from same source?

0 Karma

vtrend
Engager

Yes, I have added local data directory with the path "/data/01/" and "Indexed Once' again.
I chose same Index and App Context while re-ingesting.

However when I submit and complete above steps, the search query gives 0 results.

index='telemetry' source='/data/01/*'

0 Karma

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@vtrend If you are using the same forwarder to re-index fishbucket ignores re-reading the same file contents.

Try clearing the fishbucket to specific source, replace - "/var/log/messages" with your source path

./splunk cmd btprobe -d  /opt/splunkforwarder/var/lib/splunk/fishbucket/splunk_private_db  --file /var/log/messages --reset

vtrend
Engager

@venkatasri 

Ohh, this explains it. I'll try this and update here with the results.

Thanks a lot.

0 Karma

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @vtrend 

There is no other command except clean to wipe out data from disk however as you said it will do whole index not a particular source.

| delete  command is something you already did meaning you won't be able to search it again but data exist on disk. When you re-ingest data from same source that you have deleted newly ingested will be searchable without issues.

-- 

Hope this helps!

Tags (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...