Getting Data In

How to delete indexed data for a particular date?

sahoo0233
Path Finder

Hi,

I index data on a daily basis. For indexing, I have made a monitoring path in inputs.conf, so once the file is in that path it, automatically gets indexed.

So I have made a mistake by pasting the wrong set of files in that monitoring path. Now I need to delete the particular set of files for that particular date itself.

Its urgent as we are into production right now.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Assuming you have Delete permission, search for the data you don't want and pipe it to the delete command.

index=foo source=somefile earliest=7/22/2015 00:00:00 latest=7/22/2015 23:59:59 | delete

Add qualifiers as needed to select only the data you want to delete.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

sahoo0233
Path Finder

Hi rich,

I am a rookie in splunk, could you please help where should i give the above command, any specified path?? a small example may be!!

Thanks

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Enter your command in the search bar of the Splunk web GUI. You'll need to update my example for your environment (index name, date, etc.).

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...