Getting Data In

How to create index field?

rashid47010
Communicator

Hi

we want an indexed field called ‘actual_server’ to indicate the hostname of the forwarder that passed us the data.

My initial thought process is there are might be two options to achieve this

1- hostname available in the logs. which I think is not correct

2- write the system hostname in transforms.conf

I will create an app on CM and roll out this props.conf and transforms.conf against sourcetype=testlog

[testlog]
TRANSFORMS-netscreen = example
[example1]
WRITE_META=true
FORMAT = actual_server::FORWARDER1

and on search head

ields.conf

Add the following lines to fields.conf:

[actual_server]
INDEXED=true

Is this correct ?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

Action01
Loves-to-Learn

We have used this app as a solution to add the forwarder name: https://github.com/aholzel/TA-add_forwarder_name 

0 Karma

jotne
Builder

We like to know the name of the HF server the data are passing trough, so we have this app on all our  HF server.

prosps.conf

[source::...]
TRANSFORMS_set_hf_server_name = set_hf_server_name

transforms.conf

[set_hf_server_name]
INGEST_EVAL = splunk_hf := splunk_server

This uses the server name, so we do not need to set it.  All data will then be searchable using 
splunk_hf=<something>

We do also do the same for all collector servers and set splunk_collector (for Syslog/HEC/Azure etc)

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

1. If the field value is not included in the raw event, you should set

INDEXED_VALUE=false

in fields.conf

2. If you want to identify particular forwarder by inserting a static value, you might consider adding _meta at input level on the forwarder. The only caveat is that if you wanna add multiple meta fields on the UF it can quickly get ugly.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @rashid47010,

as you can read at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.1.0/Data/Configureindex-timefieldextraction, it's correct.

Only one question: did you tried to se the hostname in the input stanza od the Forwarder?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

meetmshah
Contributor

Hello @rashid47010 Yes this should work.

Note - you have mentioned TRANSFORMS-netscreen = example and have created a stanza as example1 (there is "1" extra in the stanza name, you may want to correct them).

Let me know if ^^ doesn't work

0 Karma

rashid47010
Communicator

hi @meetmshah 

below are my props and transform. Still index field is not showing. I have fresh Splunk AIO instance. and I am uploading example log file named access.log

below is sample event

Jul 20 2023 09:37:08 www1 sshd[1654]: Failed password for happy from 2.229.4.58 port 2111 ssh2

Props.conf

[newfield]

TRANSFORMS-test = test_newfield

transforms.conf

[test_newfield]

REGEX = sshd\[(\d+)\]

FORMAT = request::"$1"

INGEST_EVAL = splunk_orig_fwd=host_test

WRITE_META = true

0 Karma

rashid47010
Communicator

Yes, you are right, i recreate the config but still it is not working. Only missing part is updating fields.conf file

let me try again shortly.

please note that i have test splunk AIO server and i am uploading sample access.log file.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Thanks for the Memories! Splunk University, .conf24, and Community Connections

Thank you to everyone in the Splunk Community who joined us for .conf24 – starting with Splunk University and ...

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...