Getting Data In

How to create a list of source files for use in primary search?

aoleske
Path Finder

My question focuses around using one search to create a list of files I don’t want to consider in the primary search. Here is an overview of the problem I am trying to solve. I have a directory that fills with small files, one file per transaction series for an application we run.
1) Each file is a source.
2) If the file contains “Transaction Rolled Back" OR "Process FNXML Complete”, I do not want to have the filename (source) in the final list of sources. I am looking for transactions that did not complete.
3) I would like the final output to be a list of sources (log files) that do not have the “Transaction Rolled Back" OR "Process FNXML Complete” messages within the last three file lines.

Data examples are:
Action 1/9/2018 3:08:33 PM: XML Processing is complete.
Action 1/9/2018 3:08:33 PM: *******Commit Transaction *******
Action 1/9/2018 3:08:33 PM: Not writing to if_header - No transaction was set in the XML.
Action 1/9/2018 3:08:33 PM: ProcessNode Complete
Action 1/9/2018 3:08:33 PM: Process FNXML Complete.

OR

Action 1/9/2018 3:05:37 PM: ******** Transaction Rolled Back **********
Action 1/9/2018 3:05:37 PM: ErrorDesc=The current status of the shop order [RUN] is not in the list of old shop order oper status values.

Action 1/9/2018 3:05:37 PM: Not writing to if_header - No transaction was set in the XML.

When I run the following command, I will get a list of sources that looks like something like this:

(host=vel*) index=velocity sourcetype="velocity:icim" source="E:\\logs\\icim\\*"  
| stats count by source
OUTPUT:
source                                                                                         count (This is linecount)
E:\logs\Intercim\10076010920181646645312.log    17
E:\logs\Intercim\10076010920181646746093.log    34
E:\logs\Intercim\10076010920181646750905.log    20

I can create the lookup table successfully, and create a separate search to compare the search against the lookup table, but I can’t seem to create a combined search. Part of the issue is that the second half, as I get a “Mismatched ‘]’ error. I think the issue is a subsearch within a subsearch, but am not sure how to get past it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Works to create lookup table:

(host=vel*) index=velocity sourcetype="velocity:icim" source="E:\\logs\\icim\\*" ("Transaction Rolled Back" OR "Process FNXML Complete") 
| dedup source 
| stats count by source 
| fields source 
| outputlookup icimlogs.csv
Works to search with lookup table:

(host=vel*) index=velocity sourcetype="velocity:icim" (source="E:\\logs\\icim\\*" NOT source="E:\\logs\\icim\\2018*") Action  NOT  
[| inputlookup icimlogs.csv] 
| dedup source 
| table source

Combined search that fails (This is just the latest iteration):

(host=vel*) index=velocity sourcetype="velocity:icim" source="E:\\logs\\icim\\*" ("Transaction Rolled Back" OR "Process FNXML Complete") 
| dedup source 
| stats count by source 
| fields source 
| outputlookup icimlogs.csv 
| append 
    [ search (host=vel*) index=velocity sourcetype="velocity:icim" (source="E:\\logs\\icim\\*" NOT source="E:\\logs\\icim\\2018*") Action NOT 
        [| inputlookup icimlogs.csv]] 
| dedup source 
| table source]

Thanks for your help, everyone.

0 Karma
1 Solution

nabeel652
Builder

What I have understood you just need one query in order to:
i- filter out any files like E:\logs\icim\2018* ===> NOT source="E:\logs\icim\2018*"
ii- filter out files (source) containing "Transaction Rolled Back" OR "Process FNXML Complete" ===> NOT [|search index=velocity sourcetype="velocity:icim" (host=vel*) ("Transaction Rolled Back" OR "Process FNXML Complete") | dedup source | fields source]

So your query would be like:

index=velocity sourcetype="velocity:icim" (host=vel*)  NOT  source="E:\\logs\\icim\\2018*" NOT [|search  index=velocity sourcetype="velocity:icim" (host=vel*) ("Transaction Rolled Back" OR "Process FNXML Complete") | dedup source | fields source]  | your query continues...

View solution in original post

0 Karma

aoleske
Path Finder

Thanks Nabeel652. I have accepted the answer. I used a variation of what you suggested and then discovered that I get a log file with an Oracle disconnect message which listed the pertinent log file directly. I have lost the original search to the mists of time, or I would post it here. Thanks again for your help!
Andrew

0 Karma

nabeel652
Builder

What I have understood you just need one query in order to:
i- filter out any files like E:\logs\icim\2018* ===> NOT source="E:\logs\icim\2018*"
ii- filter out files (source) containing "Transaction Rolled Back" OR "Process FNXML Complete" ===> NOT [|search index=velocity sourcetype="velocity:icim" (host=vel*) ("Transaction Rolled Back" OR "Process FNXML Complete") | dedup source | fields source]

So your query would be like:

index=velocity sourcetype="velocity:icim" (host=vel*)  NOT  source="E:\\logs\\icim\\2018*" NOT [|search  index=velocity sourcetype="velocity:icim" (host=vel*) ("Transaction Rolled Back" OR "Process FNXML Complete") | dedup source | fields source]  | your query continues...
0 Karma

aoleske
Path Finder

Hi Nabeel652! Thank you for the response. I am not sure where I would put that, as I have two queries with index-velocity. I am attempting to really do the following. (Assumption is that all log files are under E:\logs\icom):
1) Ignore any log files with "Transaction Rolled Back" OR "Process FNXML Complete" inside the contents.
2) Ignore any files that begin with "E:\logs\icim\2018*".

This leaves me with a small list of files where a transaction did not complete or rollback, and any possible files listing an error of some type. I can then explore any logs that have some form of error and figure out what transaction actually created the problem. Note that a pertinent file may not have the word "error" in it, so I can't just search for "error".

0 Karma

nabeel652
Builder

Ah sorry I got you wrong. Please see my updated answer 🙂

0 Karma

aoleske
Path Finder

The extra bracket ']' after [|inputlookup icimlogs.csv] was a typo. I have removed it, and the error is now gone. However, I am still only outputting my original file list, and not the filtered list.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...