Getting Data In

How to create a golden image of Windows 2008R2 with a Splunk universal forwarder?

dhruva123

Hello,

I am trying to create a golden image of Windows 2008r2 with a Splunk forwarder on it. I tried running the command SplunkUniversalForwarder\bin\splunk cone-prep-clear-config, but I got an error stating cone-prep-clear-config is not a valid command. I have successfully ran this command on Linux. Am I supposed to use some other command for Windows?

Error:

PS C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\bin> .\splunk.exe cone-prep-clear-config
Command error: 'cone-prep-clear-config' is not a valid command.  Please run 'splunk help' to see the valid commands.
Data forwarding configuration management tools.
  Commands:
      enable local-index [-parameter <value>] ...
      disable local-index [-parameter <value>] ...
      display local-index
      add [forward-server|search-server] server
      remove [forward-server|search-server] server
      list [forward-server|search-server]
  Objects:
      forward-server       a Splunk forwarder to forward data to be indexed
      search-server        a Splunk server to forward searches
      local-index          a local search index on the Splunk server
0 Karma

tred23
Path Finder

dhruva123
Make sure when you install the universal forwarder that you use the command line switch LAUNCHSPLUNK=0
That stops the universal forwarder from starting after the installation is complete otherwise the splunk.exe clone-prep-clear-config command won't be able to clear all the files.
Make sure this is the last thing you do before you power off the master/golden image for the last time. If you reboot you will need to stop the universal forwarder service again and rerun the splunk.exe clone-prep-clear-config command again.

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Per the docs on integrating a universal forwarder onto a system image, it's

C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\bin> splunk.exe clone-prep-clear-config

You had "cone" instead of "clone". Don't know if that was your actual problem or not, but it could be.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...