Getting Data In

How to correlate two sourcetypes on a single field?

pjb2160
Path Finder

I wish to correlate two sourcetypes on a single field which I would expect should look something like this:

(sourcetype=type_1 changed_user=*) OR (sourcetype=type_2 users_affected=*) | where changed_user=users_affected | table changed_user, users_affected

Unfortunately this returns no results when I know there are matching results. I have created sample data with "John Smith" appearing in each.

I should also mention that users_affected is likely to have one or more users listed whereas changed_user will only ever have one user listed.

In trying to resolve this I was initially looking for exact matches (on "John Smith") so if anyone knows how I can get this query to first work on an exact match then working to include results where changed_user "exists in" type_2 users_affected that would be much appreciated!

happy to explain further if my intention is not clear!

cheers

Tags (2)
0 Karma

vasanthmss
Motivator

MuS
Legend

I second the second answer 🙂

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...