Getting Data In

How to convert an event into JSON?

kcepull2
Path Finder

[Not really a question, but wanted to document and share with the community...]

So, I had a customer that liked how JSON events showed up in the Events tab on the Search screen (e.g. colored format, collapse/expand). He wanted events that weren't JSON to show up this way, too! (I tried to explain that wasn't the purpose of this screen, but it was an interesting exercise, so what the heck....)

Here's what I came up with that will take any event, and format it as JSON so the Splunkweb JSON parser will kick in.

your search here
| foreach * 
    [eval jsonmv_ = mvappend(jsonmv_,"\"<<MATCHSTR>>\":\"" + <<FIELD>> + "\"")] 
| eval _raw = "{" + mvjoin(jsonmv_,",") + "}" 
| fields - jsonmv_

The resulting event(s) will be in JSON format, and will display with colors, etc. in Splunkweb.

NOTE: This is a VERY inefficient thing to do! You are basically having Splunk parse the event into fields (field extractions), then munging all those field back together into a JSON-formatted string, THEN having Splunk parse the JSON back into fields.

Like I said - an interesting exercise to see if it was possible, but not very useful in a production situation.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kcepull2
Path Finder

Here's what I came up with that will take any event, and format it as JSON so the Splunkweb JSON parser will kick in.

your search here
 | foreach * 
 | fields - jsonmv_

View solution in original post

kcepull2
Path Finder

your search here
 | foreach * 
 | fields - jsonmv_

damode1
Path Finder

getting below error when I tried your spl

Failed to parse templatized search for field 'tag::eventtype'
0 Karma

aaraneta_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hello @kcepull2 - Thank you for sharing this question and providing a solution. Do you think you can put the solution as an answer below so it can be Accepted? That way this question doesn't look like its unanswered forever? Thanks in advance!

0 Karma

kcepull2
Path Finder

Sure! Thanks for the suggestion. 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...