Getting Data In

How to configure scripted inputs and check if they are running?

slashnburn
Path Finder

I have followed some documentation on adding inputs to from scripts, and have the following:

1. A batch script, which calls my powershell script (running the batch scripts executes the powershell script properly)
  2. .path file located in myapp\bin

$SystemRoot%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe "D:\Program Files\etc\apps\myapp\bin\mypsscript.ps1"

3. app.conf file located in myapp\default with stanza

[script://D:\Program Files\etc\apps\myapp\bin\mypathfile.path]
    interval = 50
    source = mypsscript.ps1

However, I am not sure how to know whether or not this script is actually running. I don't think it is, because if I search for that source, it doesn't have any results. Is this configured properly? How do I ensure the script kicks off? Do I need to do anything else?

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

slashnburn
Path Finder

I fixed the problem. To summarize:

• I removed the batch script, because the .path file essentially does the same thing.
  • I placed the call to the .path file in the input.config file with the parameters I had listed.
  • I placed the .ps1 file and the .path file in the $SPLUNK_HOME\bin\scripts.

Once I realized that the .path file is essentially a one line batch script, I was able to make the call to powershell (must use an explicit path) and then issue the command. Once I knew everything was in the right place, I figured out that I had to include "-file" before making the call to the .ps1 file.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

slashnburn
Path Finder

I fixed the problem. To summarize:

• I removed the batch script, because the .path file essentially does the same thing.
  • I placed the call to the .path file in the input.config file with the parameters I had listed.
  • I placed the .ps1 file and the .path file in the $SPLUNK_HOME\bin\scripts.

Once I realized that the .path file is essentially a one line batch script, I was able to make the call to powershell (must use an explicit path) and then issue the command. Once I knew everything was in the right place, I figured out that I had to include "-file" before making the call to the .ps1 file.

0 Karma

strive
Influencer

I think your script is disabled. Try explicitly setting disabled = 0

[script://.binmypathfile.path]
interval = 50
source = mypsscript.ps
disabled = 0

disabled = false also should work.

You need to restart after making this change

0 Karma

slashnburn
Path Finder

Actually, after looking, I had this stanza in input.conf:

[script://.\bin\mypathfile.path]
interval = 50
source = mypsscript.ps

0 Karma

slashnburn
Path Finder

how do I then get the script to run?

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

your script stanza should be inside inputs.conf not app.conf

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...