Getting Data In

How to configure Splunk to monitor and index a file that is generated by a script daily, even if there is no change?

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hello,

I would like to monitor a file that is generated by a script. The script is run daily and the results can be the same for many days in a row. Splunk doesn't seem to take consecutive results if they are the same.

Is there any way I can force Splunk to index data daily each time a new file is generated. The only thing changing from one file to the other is the "modified date" while the rest is the same (file name,content, etc..). I don't mind having the same data many times on different dates.

Thank you.
Regards,
David

0 Karma
1 Solution

jmallorquin
Builder

Hi,

One trick that you can do is make a script to print the ouput of the file and index the output, with current time

Hope i help you

View solution in original post

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

As per inputs.conf

alt text

-- Must be in the range 256-1048576.

So, you need to ensure that something is different in the first 256 bytes (unless you change the default). Adding the date or a random number.

DavidHourani
Super Champion

my entire file is the same daily 😄 any solution with something like CRCsalt= ?

0 Karma

jmallorquin
Builder

Hi,

One trick that you can do is make a script to print the ouput of the file and index the output, with current time

Hope i help you

DavidHourani
Super Champion

smart plan 😄 i was looking for something more like CRCsalt= ..don't know if that exists..

0 Karma

jmallorquin
Builder

No for this time sorry.

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Thank you jmallorquin

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...