Getting Data In

How to check the total usage percentage by Windows server memory?

omprakash9998
Path Finder

Hi all,

How do you check the total % of memory being used by a windows server.
Which Performance counter can help us find the total Percentage of memory a windows server is consuming?

Thanks,
Om

0 Karma
1 Solution

jessec_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

% Committed Bytes In Use

View solution in original post

omprakash9998
Path Finder

alt text

The List of Values are for the Counter % committed bytes in use. But the memory usage on the server lists it higher than the Value of the counter.
Any help is appreciated. Thank you

0 Karma

jessec_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

% Committed Bytes In Use

omprakash9998
Path Finder

Thank you for the reply.

I tried to match the Memory usage in the Performance tab in the Windows task manager to the % Committed Bytes in Use. But the % committed bytes in use is lower than the values showed in the Task Manager. is there any other counter's value that has to be added to the % committed bytes in use.

Thank you

0 Karma

jessec_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

But the two numbers should not be far apart though.

% Committed Bytes In Use is virtual memory used against "Commit Limit", which could be higher than physical memory -- this is for performance reasons so clean pages don't get ejected due to committed size ~= Physical Limit.

To make your life easier, if you see % Committed Bytes In Use is near 80%, then you are hitting memory limit -- only two ways to resolve this: add more memory (so Commit Limit will also increase) and run less load.

Better approach is to capture both

% Committed Bytes In Use
Available Bytes

If % Committed Bytes In Use is > 80%, OR Available Bytes is < 5%, your system is under extreme memory stress.

Thanks.

0 Karma

kumarpunee

Yes, but how do we calculate % of Available bytes. Counter gives only numbers in Bytes or KBytes or MBytes. Where can I get the total memory installed on system to calculate the total % in use.

0 Karma

koshyk
Super Champion

The stanza should be present in Splunk_TA_windows . Install this addon onto your Search Head for field extractions

But essentially, Create an app YOUR_windows_inputs and put below stanza into inputs.conf and push it to your clients (using deployment server)

## Memory
[perfmon://Memory]
counters = Page Faults/sec; Available Bytes; Committed Bytes; Commit Limit; Write Copies/sec; Transition Faults/sec; Cache Faults/sec; Demand Zero Faults/sec; Pages/sec; Pages Input/sec; Page Reads/sec; Pages Output/sec; Pool Paged Bytes; Pool Nonpaged Bytes; Page Writes/sec; Pool Paged Allocs; Pool Nonpaged Allocs; Free System Page Table Entries; Cache Bytes; Cache Bytes Peak; Pool Paged Resident Bytes; System Code Total Bytes; System Code Resident Bytes; System Driver Total Bytes; System Driver Resident Bytes; System Cache Resident Bytes; % Committed Bytes In Use; Available KBytes; Available MBytes; Transition Pages RePurposed/sec; Free & Zero Page List Bytes; Modified Page List Bytes; Standby Cache Reserve Bytes; Standby Cache Normal Priority Bytes; Standby Cache Core Bytes; Long-Term Average Standby Cache Lifetime (s)
disabled = false
interval = 30
object = Memory
useEnglishOnly=true
index = yourWindowsIndex

This should report to yourWindowsIndex with relevant sourcetype.
Good to have a read on: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Data/MonitorWindowsperformance

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...