Getting Data In

How to assure data arrived from script/web server

nirt
Path Finder

Hi,
I have a scheduled data input script in Splunk which runs every hour, the script is a basic wget from a web server, sometimes that web server is not responding well and causing us to lose data of an hour.
Is there any way to check if data has arrived and if not re-run the script? or any other more efficent way to retreive data from the web server?
the reason why we have this on an hourly cron is that the data only changes once an hour, and I have noticed that when we run it multiple times we get duplicate data in our searches(maybe there is a way to overcome this?)

Thanks in advance

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

The best option in my opinion is to build this logic into the script instead.

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could run a scheduled search every hour to alert you whenever there is no/not enough data in the previous hour.

0 Karma

nirt
Path Finder

I thought about that but I wanted some more generic/automatic option.. the alert can trigger the script and then it will populate the data - that should work right?
Is there any more basic way to do it? it seems like some workaround

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...