Getting Data In

How to ask Splunk to index a file using the CLI?

hiddenkirby
Contributor

Other than the oneshot... how would one toss a file into an index through the CLI?

I likely missed it in the documentation, but i couldn't find it.

Is there a rest endpoint to do the same?

maybe oneshot is the only solution to that?

1 Solution

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you intend to index the file instead of having Splunk monitoring/tailing it, then I think the CLI "oneshot" command is indeed the best solution.

# splunk add oneshot <path_to_your_file>

You could also create a new monitor input for that file from the CLI, this will index your file but it won't be at all the same than "uploading" it to Splunk as a one-time thing, as Splunk will be keeping track of it.

# splunk add monitor <path_to_your_file>

Another possibility is to toss the file in $SPLUNK_HOME/var/spool/splunk which is set up by default as a batch input (see $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/default/inputs.conf). Note that the file will be indexed destructively, so you may want to copy it there, not move it.

View solution in original post

sdwilkerson
Contributor

Hiddenkirby,
You can also use the built-in sinkhole "$SPLUNK_HOME/var/spool/splunk" to index a file in an ad-hoc fashion. Place any applicable file in there and it will be indexed by Splunk. Historically you could not control how those files were indexed, but now you can.

Just add an extra line to the top of your file that looks something like this:

***SPLUNK*** sourcetype=YourSourcetype index=YourIndex host=foo1 ...

And Splunk will index your file with those parameters.

Read more about it in the Splunk docs: http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/4.1.5/Admin/Assignmetadatatoeventsdynamically

I use the built-in sinkhole when I am doing a quick test of a new log-type to evaluate it before setting up a perm monitor or when doing an investigation and I need to get a bunch of evidence into Splunk from a system that wasn't already monitored by Splunk.

0 Karma

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you intend to index the file instead of having Splunk monitoring/tailing it, then I think the CLI "oneshot" command is indeed the best solution.

# splunk add oneshot <path_to_your_file>

You could also create a new monitor input for that file from the CLI, this will index your file but it won't be at all the same than "uploading" it to Splunk as a one-time thing, as Splunk will be keeping track of it.

# splunk add monitor <path_to_your_file>

Another possibility is to toss the file in $SPLUNK_HOME/var/spool/splunk which is set up by default as a batch input (see $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/default/inputs.conf). Note that the file will be indexed destructively, so you may want to copy it there, not move it.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...