Getting Data In

How do you reload a file?

jldebell
Path Finder

The permissions were incorrect for files being monitored. The files appeared to be indexed but they are not in Splunk. I went in and altered the file to trick the CRC Check Sum thinking it would trick the system into re-indexing the items. I get the following messages when I saved the revised files (real-time) in the _internal index:

Will begin reading at offset=0 for file=

And

group=per_source_thruput, series="/opt/splunk/*.txt", kbps=###, eps=###, kb=###, ev=###, avg_age=###, max_age=###

I am not seeing denied/failed messages. The information is still not indexing.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks, Jenn

0 Karma
1 Solution

jldebell
Path Finder

The files were not able to reload because there was a TIME_FORMAT error associated. I was able to get the formatting corrected and reload the files. The error message was over a week old, but it was the root cause. I have included the link to the other question associated in case others encounter something similar.

http://answers.splunk.com/answers/224111/how-do-i-properly-describe-non-standard-datetime-f.html#ans...

Thanks again for everyone's assistance.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jldebell
Path Finder

The files were not able to reload because there was a TIME_FORMAT error associated. I was able to get the formatting corrected and reload the files. The error message was over a week old, but it was the root cause. I have included the link to the other question associated in case others encounter something similar.

http://answers.splunk.com/answers/224111/how-do-i-properly-describe-non-standard-datetime-f.html#ans...

Thanks again for everyone's assistance.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

What is your data input configuration (inputs.conf ) from the forwarder? When updating the content to trick the CRC, what portion of the file you updated, from start of file or end of file?

0 Karma

jldebell
Path Finder

I altered the start of the file. I added a space initially, but it didn't work. It would not let me save it stating there were no changes. I then added | (pipes). The file updated, but did not index.

0 Karma

glennpierce
Explorer

Hi Jenn,

I think this Splunk Answer may be what you're after:

http://answers.splunk.com/answers/72562/how-to-reindex-data-from-a-forwarder.html

jldebell
Path Finder

Thanks for the reference. i was reading about the one shot and fish bucket clean up. I will see if this will work. Thanks!

0 Karma

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Quickest way is to delete a specific file from the fishbucket (state monitoring.)

./splunk cmd btprobe -d /path/to/splunk/var/lib/splunk/fishbucket/splunk_private_db --file /full/path/to/filename.txt --reset

That will reset Splunk's internal monitor for files, and force it to reread the specific file. If you have only a hand full of files, this works easily. If you're dealing with thousands of files, then you'd want to script this as wildcards do not work.

Here is a good answers article on various methods : http://answers.splunk.com/answers/72562/how-to-reindex-data-from-a-forwarder.html

0 Karma

jldebell
Path Finder

If I understand correctly, this will clean out the file so then I can re-index it. It won't impact other files since I am specifying which to look for. I will try this.

0 Karma

jldebell
Path Finder

I tried the string, but I am getting a file path not recognized. I am in the server, drilled down to the splunk_private_db and then added the string. The first path was the splunk_private_bd and the second was the path to the file. I was able to tab and have it pull the information (auto-fill function in Unix). Which I would expect that if I tab and it auto-fills that the path exists. I am guessing it is a user error and I played around based on documentation, but I am not catching it.

In the server:
logged in as Splunk.

navigate to the /opt/splunk/var/lib/splunk/fishbucket/splunk_private_db/ folder

add the following details:

./splunk cmd btprobe -d /opt/splunk/var/lib/splunk/fishbucket/splunk_private_db/ --file /opt/splunk/F1/F2/text_file.TXT --reset

Error message:

-bash: ./splunk: No such file or directory

I am going to search on error messages related to the command and see if i can find anything. Please keep me posted if you see anything I missed.

Thanks, Jenn

0 Karma

glennpierce
Explorer

If your using bash on a *nix based system make sure your in the $SPLUNK_HOME/bin directory before you run that command. Or add /opt/splunk/bin/splunk cmd [etc] to your command.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...